Has Bare Feats helped you? How about donating to Bare Feats?
REVIEW: FirmTek ThunderTek/PX2+2
Thunderbolt Storage Bundle
Originally posted May 28th, 2014 by rob-ART morgan, mad scientist
FirmTek is now shipping the ThunderTek/PX2+2 which bundles the ThunderTek Thunderbolt-to-PCIe Expander with the SerTek/6G2+2 PCIe SATA adapter which enables you to mount two 2.5" drives directly on the card. We tested it connected to the 2013 Mac Pro 8-Core.
Two SSDs = ThunderTek/PX2+2 with dual 500GB Samsung 840 EVO 6Gbps SSDs mounted on the SeriTek/6G2+2 and striped (RAID 0) using Disk Utility's software RAID function
One SSD = ThunderTek/PX2+2 with one 500GB Samsung 840 EVO 6Gbps SSD mounted on the SeriTek/6G2+2
SIMULATED 4K VIDEO CAPTURE and PLAYBACK
We used AJA System Test to test file level sequential transfer speed of a 16GB test document. It also simulates capture and playback of a 4096x2160 10-bit RGB video. (HIGHEST number means FASTEST in Megabytes per Second.)
The ThunderTek/PX2+2 Storage Expansion Bundle is a unique way to adapt the SeriTek/6g2+2 (and other half length PCIe adapters) to a Mac with Thunderbolt ports.
Though the ThunderTek has a single PCIe slot, it accommodates wider PCIe adapters like the SeriTek/6g2+2 on which we mounted dual 6Gbps SSDs. That, in effect, makes it a standalone Thunderbolt storage device. Of course, with the two external eSATA ports of the 6g2+2, this bundle can also support two direct connect eSATA enclosures or two Port Multiplier enclosures or a combination of both.
KEY FEATURES OF THE ThunderTek/PX2+2 BUNDLE INCLUDE . . .
- Mac OS and Windows certified for Thunderbolt
- Mount up to two 2.5" HDD, SSD, or SSHD drives - right on the card
- Two external eSATA ports for connecting external direct-connect and port-multiplier eSATA enclosures
- Bootable: Supports Mac OS X 10.6.x - 10.9.x)
- Supports Windows 8.x (including via BootCamp) but non-bootable
- Compatible with 2011 or later MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini, 2013 Mac Pro and other Thunderbolt equipped computers.
- Compatible with SATA I, II, III drives (1.5Gbps, 3Gbps, 6Gbps)
- Compatible with software based RAID solutions
- Supports direct-connect SATA enclosures
- Supports port-multiplication SATA enclosures with Sil3726 & Oxford 936 chipsets
- PCIe expansion via Thunderbolt offers up to 10Gb/s dual channel data transfer rates
- Thunderbolt/PX chassis supports compatible PCIe cards for eSATA, USB 3.0, 8Gb Fibre Channel, 10G Ethernet, audio and more; single half-length PCIe 2.0 x1, x2 or x4 cards up to 6" in length
- Energy Saver Mode: Automatically powers on/off with your computer
- Light-weight, rugged, aluminum case for maximum durability and heat dissipation
- Ventilated case with quiet fan operation
- Single Thunderbolt connector; single power connector
Feedback or comments? Feel free to email me,
Also, you can follow me on Twitter @barefeats
Has Bare Feats helped you? How about helping Bare Feats?
copyright 2014 Rob Art Morgan
"BARE facts on Macintosh speed FEATS"